HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Closest shot on a big game animal?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

I shot a doe whitetail at 20-30 feet with a .30-06 180 grain softpoint bullet. I was under a tree with dropping down branches without leaves that sort of hid me. It was dusk. I saw the deer at right angles to my right side. It was looking at me but couldn't figure out what I was. I shifted my rifle to my left shoulder (I am a right handed shooter) and shot her left handed rather than take a few steps to rotate around to shoot right handed, as that would likely have caused alarm and she would have run off. Some would disparage this as reckless, but I could see the cross-hairs very steady on the vitals and took the shot. The bullet went where it was supposed to.

Even though this doe was killed very solidly, she still managed to move 20 yards to where she fell dead. That is pretty astonishing. I picked her up to move her to a more desirable position to gut her, and as I lifted I heard a "slish-sush" as air sucked in the bullet hole on the off-side. There was a quarter sized hole in the side of this deer. How did she move 20 yards? Double lung.