HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hog hunt at Chappy's
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 05:12 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

I'm not from Central Florida .About 1200 miles away actually.

He's on 1,700 acres. He has stands set up, or you can dog and buggy hunt. The stand hunts are a little cheaper. The dog and buggy hunt is $250/hog. No extra charge for size. Sometimes you get lucky and get a big one. My first one was right at 180lbs. This time I'd guess it was probably right around 100, but I didn't weigh it.

He will quarter them up for you there. If you need more processing done you would have to call to see what your options are.

I have no idea what his schedule is like. I know this is his slow season when it's still hot. It was pushing 90 by the time we were done. When I went before it was in early February and the temps were much better .

He says his stand hunts run about 30% success in the morning and around 60% in the evening. We didn't sit at all, as we all wanted to hunt with the dogs. On the dog hunt he says "we'll get one one way or another" and we did.

It took us probably about 5 hours to get 5 hogs. Although three of them we got in about a half hour time frame.

The meat makes excellent sausage. Although you have to add pork fat to it as it is very lean. I add 20% pork fat to mine and just grind it all.

I enjoy it. We didn't draw our antelope tags, so we took five days to go to Florida, do some touristy stuff, then did our hunt and headed home.

He charges $80 for the cabin a night. And it's nice to be able to wake up right there on the property and get busy .

-Jake