HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 Mag for hog?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Berserker
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Necro
I should have mentioned it, but I am not planning on hunting for trophy so headshots or other shots are fine, and I am not planning on firing anywhere past 50 yards, considering the thick brush in Ohio. And doing research, I read that we don’t have very large hog here, I was mostly drawn to .44 because of the abundance of ammo to practice with, and I can find it anywhere, along with a lighter weight rifle, making to easier to walk with during a deer hunt. I thank you all for your opinions, and I’ll be trying to make up my mind with this information, thank you!
You don't need head shots. I haven't but many people have shot hogs with 44 mag. Hard lead. I load XTP which some people say are hard enough for hog.

Not saying I don't like 45-70. I choose to hunt with that over my 44, since I hunt in heavy bush and hope it runs 10 yards less. I did buy the 44 mag for walking, but haven't used it alot for that.

I have skinner sights on my 44 mag and 2x7 on 45-70. 1-5 with firedot would be nice. Next bear season I may do that. Since I walk in day, peeps are ok. But for hunting low light, I want a scope. My preference