HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does your dog hunt doves?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 07:21 PM
mthusker
Fork Horn

If your going to hunt a dog with warm temps, you as their owner have the responsibilities to keep that dog in top shape, get it acclimated to conditions. I live here in Montana, our grouse and hun season started labor day weekend. It can be miserable hot or very cool. I run my pups twice a day almost every day all year long, during the summer, early and late, with a few day's thrown in at Ft. Peck lake for water training. If your going to hunt on hot days for any bird, I would suggest you do it near a water hole, so the pup can have the ability to drink and take a dip. I have no idea how anyone of you keep your pet during the year, whether they are house dogs or kenneled outside. I believe it would be tougher on the house dog getting acclimated then one that lives outdoors. Most pups I have been around, offered water, will drink if they need it, how about keeping dog in a wire kennel while hunting, with a water bowl in it, that way you still have ventilation and the dog will not be as wired if it were out side of it, keep it in shady place.