HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Minerals
Thread: Minerals
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Hard to tell what trace elements and minerals a Deer needs. Unlikely they are going to get it all from forage in one area.

I read a study that said one main reason a Deer nose is so good, beside detecting predators and threats, is to detect dietary deficiencies. They say a Deer nose can detect the plants and minerals needed to correct dietary deficiencies in parts per billion/trillion and from great distances. They also said, besides weather, predator pressure and the rut, dietary deficiencies are a main reason for migration.

Trying to mix up a batch which fulfills all the deficiencies IMO is likely to be a shot in the dark.

There is a thousand year old game trail in the woods near my house. It leads to a mineral deposit. Deer from all over the valley periodically migrate there, stay for awhile then migrate back where they cam from. They fenced that mineral earth and the Deer tore up an eight foot chain link fence trying to get at it.

I personally think big antlers is more hereditary than dietary. People have been shooting the best Bucks for trophies forever, I shoot the culls, inferior Bucks, but I'm just one hunter in a million. The Bucks on my lease have some nice racks.