HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Binoculars: Swarovski 10X42 EL vs Leupold 10X42 Gold Ring HD
Old 09-04-2018, 12:04 PM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Default Binoculars: Swarovski 10X42 EL vs Leupold 10X42 Gold Ring HD

When I buy a pair of binoculars, spotting scopes, etc. I usually narrow the choice down to 3 or 4 and then try them all and keep the ones I like best and return the others. I've been looking for a new pair of binoculars and was going to do just that....order 3 pair from Cabelas and keep the ones I liked best, but I found a pair of Swarovski 10X42 EL's on ebay in mint condition so I bought them for about $1,000 less than they sell for new. When I got them they were just as described....absolutely mint. I have a pair of Leupold 10X42 Gold Ring HD binoculars I've had for several years now. I was excited to get the Swarovskis and compare them to my old Leupolds. I've had them for a couple of weeks now and have had them out many times at different times of the day, in different weather conditions, etc.

The bottom line is that I challenge anyone to look through both sets of binoculars and tell me that the Swarovskis are better. They are not. I've tried over and over to convince myself that the Swarovskis are better than my Leupolds, but they just are not. I see absolutely no difference in clarity, brightness, etc. The colors are just as vibrant with the old leupolds. So, I just smacked down a pretty good chunk of change pretty much for nothing.

About 5 years ago I was caribou hunting in Manitoba and the guide had a high end pair of Zeiss Binoculars...can't recall now exactly which model he had. I had my Leupolds. He handed my his and said, "Here, try these". So I tried them but wasn't impressed. My Leopolds were better, but I didn't tell him that... He was pretty proud of his Zeiss Binocular..

So, I learned a lesson. A costly lesson! I think my Leupolds were about $700 when I bought them.... About $2,000 less than a new pair of Swarovski 10X42 ELs.... And no, I'm not a salesman for Leupold!!!