HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does your dog hunt doves?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM
archeryrob
Fork Horn

My lab is half English and half American and favors her stocky English mother. She does great in the winter but gets hot fast. Also like Old Timer said She about gets hot just being excited being out hunting and hearing the guns load up. I will take her later season dove hunting when the temp drops, but I got too much time and love invested to risk her life. Besides, if I heat stroked her and killed her, I am not sure my family would let me back in the house!!

I have read a lot on the waterfowl forums in the past of guys doing the same thing and having the dog keel over and die from heat stroke. They will run until they crash. If you ever hear them making that sucking sound were the tongue kind of binds in the throat from panting so heavy you better get them whetted or iced down.

Don't think being keep outside makes her better to run in the warm weather as she does nothing when its hot. They know not too, but you get them hunting and they will fight instinct to rest to hunt and work until she dies.

Last edited by archeryrob; 08-29-2018 at 10:03 AM.