HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buckshot for maine black bear?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 05:20 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HIIMJOHN
This is what to do ........ This is what i do !!! Use slugs first then 2nd shot use buckshot 3" or 3 1/2" 00 ... Why ill tell you why ..the 2nd shot bear will be running because you missed and scared him ... Now that you have a running bear buckshot is easier ... It patterns .... Make sure with buckshot to use 3" or 3 1/2 " it has more knockdown power .... Max effective killing range is 50 yards with 3 " a little more with 3 1/2 " now get offline and sharpen your knife your going to need it ... Cheers & as always happy hunting ...
well I will have to say, if you THINK hunting with buckshot is a GOOD idea, all the mro so on bears, IMO your a poor hunter who has little regards to wounding animals

buck shot was used yrs back due to it was cheap and most folkks had shotguns
but they are NOT very good tools for hunting, there are many much better designed and proven ways to kill LARGE animals
the FACT your willing to STATE "you missed on the first shot and will NOW need to shoot at a RUNNING animal, and need buck shot for second shot"
Proves to me, your NOT that great a hunter to be passing on this type of advice

Buck shot CAN kill for sure, but with ALL the modern toolwe hunters have, its a POOR choice to be using for hunting bears, or DEER
4thj gen hunter ot not
try entering the modern era of hunting
where quick clean kills are easier to be used, with a modern slug, or rifle bullet!
leaves buck shot for home defense or many a OH Crap, bear hunt while hiking /camping in bear country or??

the ANTI hunters have enough reasons to attach us hunters as is, no reason to give them more incentive, when your winging buck shot at big game?
sorry if this offends you, but its MY honest feelings here
been highly involved in hunting and shooting a LONG time, in many levels, there ARE better tools available to ALL of us these days for big game hunting than buckshot period!