HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer hunting ammo test results...
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
StrungOutOutdoors
Spike

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
not a single reason, and once that ammos loaded, youll want to re-test, your hand-loads, as they may or may not duplicate the factory ammo,
Id set up the rifle zero to place your shots, or bullet impact, too hit consistently about 3" high at 100 yards to make range estimation in the field less critical.
most game is shot at under 300 yards, most people are less than impressive shots unless they practice frequently and understand their rifle trajectory.
good luck, your already much ahead of the average guy who simply shoots at a coke can at 50 yards hits it occasionally and thinks his rifles all set up.
I worked as a range officer years ago, I have few illusions about the average guys ability's, and while theres obviously many guys who take the skills seriously,
they are in the better and select, minority, and you would not believe the guys that simply buy what ever ammo's currently on sale at Walmart and go hunting.
many seem to think that once sighted in, any ammo that fits their guns going to provide the required accuracy, from then on,
I had one guy tell me he was sighting his 308 win in with 30 year old, surplus 147 grain mill surplus, ammo,\
but was going to use Remington 180 grain on the actual hunt... no sense wasting the "good stuff on paper"
and off the bench rest his group PATTERED like a buck-shot load at 50 yards,
the longest range he tried) and I'm certain the rifle was not the reason.
he was far from unique
Great advice. Its amazing how much one round varies from another