HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer hunting ammo test results...
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Savage_99
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tealboy
a few weeks ago, I asked you for recommendations on the best smmo for my daughters 243 for Florida deer and hogs plus Texas deer. I was told to test some ammo before loading up on anything.

anyway, I took your recommendation and got 9 boxes of ammo, 4 for the 243 and 5 for my 308. They were Nosler partition, ballistic tip, power shok copper, fusion and a box of non hunting premium grade match ammo. The match ammo was to calibrate the gun and me, shooting from a stable shooting bench w all the accessories. The match ammo shot better than anything else I shot and the 5 holes were touching each other in most cases. Results were different for the hunting smmo.

243 liked the fusion the best, shot two five shot groups and both were 1 1/8-1.25”. Everything else was just so so with groups of 2-3.25”.

308 liked the power shok copper 150. The fusions were not bad but the copper was much better at 1.25”.

I spent 2.5 hours playing w this, letting barrels cool, swabbing barrels every 5 shots, etc. wanted to like the Nosler but didn’t shoot well for me.

based on above, any reason not to load up on some federal fusion and the copper?
At what range in yards was the shooting done? 10 characters!

Last edited by Savage_99; 08-19-2018 at 07:29 AM.