HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What happens when you're gone?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 05:23 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I'll add a couple things
first off the only value of havinga gun apprasied at a gun shop every so often(as someone above said they did)
would be if the gun was being used and condition changes, as once a gun is appraised for insurance reasons, it will be based on current values, any collectible like gun that is a safe queen, will pretty much stay in its condition and , values will be based on current market values of it
doesn't hurt to have appraised, but doubt much will come from it, market values come more into play here

next will be burying a gun and leaving it that way
that can be a double edged sword, as it can end up being a illegal deal, MOST all state's guns,(mostly hand guns here too, but can include long guns and FOR SURE will be required for any class II/III items) NOT to immediate family(father/mother/son daughter /brother/ sister) will still need guns to be legally transferred to them, through a FFL holder, like as if they were buying them, for the same reasons when buying a gun at a shop, !
this way NO criminal can be GIVEN a gun, and removes old owners name from said gun and onto new owners, this again is LEGALLY required on hand huns in MOST all states I know of, long guns, can be done some times without, but peace of mind, maybe better to do so IMO

hand guns, cannot just be left to ANYONE in a buried spot, as that gun will end up still being is SAID persons name and if someone down the road ends up using it , say to protect themselves, and they run gun and find out they got it out of a hole in someone's yard, they might end up in trouble, SO why would you want to risk something like that as a gift left behind?
the idea sounds good if your trying to hide from the GOV I guess, but it can leave a added risk to who ever you wish to leave things to, and possibly get them into trouble, all the more so with all the anti gun huts these days, looking to stick it to a gun owner
getting caught with a gun in someone else's name can be a felony and accused of having a stolen gun or??

and Taxidermy, yes this one unless of trophy size and value due to its size, is a lost cause as most mounted animals have sentimental value only to the shooter of it
I have over 40 deer heads alone, and I doubt ANYONE in my family or friends would want them,(hunting buddy's have there own as is)
I do see them at times on craigslist and such, but they seldom bring much in cash selling, a gun shop or Bar, might buy some, but I think most folks being left them will trash or sell dirt cheap and not have much value to them at all

I'm a odd ball here, I had a good friend die,a bunch of yrs back, at age 88, and he had his first deer he killed mounted , along with a picture of him and his brother next to it when he shot it, his brother didn;t want it, and I DID!
and still have it, its the only mount I own that is of a animal I didn;t hunt!
but it always reminds me of my friend, and I am Positive when I kick, NO one else will care for it LOL
its NOT a very pretty mount, been wanting to re do it since I got it, but at same time don't want to!
I strongly suggest giving away items while your alive if you can , and for sure have it spelled out as clearly as possible in a LEGAL will!