HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to get started with absolutely no prior experience
Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 PM
BoobDole
Spike

Question How to get started with absolutely no prior experience

Hello everyone!

Me and a friend of mine have both started considering looking into starting to hunt our own food. We were looking at an extended goal to be able to hunt deer and be able to keep our refrigerators stocked year round. Neither of us have any hunting experience or experience with guns so I understand this isn't something that will happen overnight. I've been looking for a good forum to help us get started, find out what we should be reading, what we should be looking for, what equipment to buy when the time comes, necessary training, etc.

I'm guessing this is a topic that's been covered before but, when searching the forums, I couldn't quite find the information I was looking for (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just couldn't find it. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong things). If anyone can recommend any reading, give us any tips, even some sort of timeline to get an idea of how long we can expect before we're ready to even be able to go on a hunt with someone (without the expectation of actually shooting anything). Honestly, I'm not sure we even know what we don't know yet so we're trying to do as much research as we can (that way we don't look like two idiots charging into the woods in danger of Cheney'ing anyone . . . heh).

All jokes aside, any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!