HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season
Old 05-24-2018, 05:02 PM
karli
Spike

Originally Posted by fiddypal
Hi guys, newbie here i finally got my hunting license (after an ungodly amount of hours of "hunter education" which was a joke).

Looking for any and all advice so i can have a successful season this year.

I will be hunting out of a stand which is a pretty good size, its maybe 10' up in the air and has a chair for 1 person but you could easily fit 2 people up there and gear. The previous owners had set this stand up so i know its in a good location already.

I have a game camera out right now so i can try and get down the deer timings of when they like to roll through.

I guess my main questions for this thread is what do you guys pack for a day out in the field? Food/Drink are my biggest question marks as i know smell is what will likely give me away to the deer, so what are some good options?

I don't have to trek far from my truck to get to my hunting spot (maybe 300 yards) so weight is not a big issue for me.

My pack list so far:
- Hunting license printed on waterproof paper
- Pen/Pencil and extra sheet of waterproof paper
- Esee 4 Fixed blade knife
- Smaller Morakniv
- Various lengths of paracord
- Rain gear
- Compound Bow & Arrows (how many arrows do i realistically need to bring?)
- gallon of water (for washing when cleaning a deer)
- Headlamp/Flashlights
- Small med kit
I would also add maps and GPS to this list.= (phone is fine. Just carry a spare battery and turn off cellular radio).