HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ballistic Precision Chronograph
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Pick up a ProChrono Digital. I have the Prochrono, a Shooting Chrony, a Magnetospeed Sporter, and a LabRadar. The Sporter is a great value but limited in what it fits. The LabRadar is supreme, but it's super expensive. I used the ProChrono more often than the Shooting Chrony for years. I keep the Sporter in my range bag now, and drag the LabRadar out more often than the ProChrono, and leave the ProChrono set up in my shop for archery.

The ProChrono can be bought cheap enough that shipping doesn't make sense for used + shipped vs. new price.
I will soon buy a Magnetospeed unit for use when it is not convenient to set up another chrony at club's range. The V3 is $200 more than the Sporter and it seems to get better reviews. It is hard for me to determine if there is a real difference or if it is just the chirping of the fanboys that paid the extra cash and are proud of their purchase. I do occasionally shoot rifles that have fairly heavy recoil. I do not shoot normally shoot with suppressors and I am an anti-muzzle brake guy. Most barrels are sporter configuration, but not all. What is your opinion about the V3 vs the Sporter?

As a general comment on the subject of chronographs, I have seen a few fellows blast their all-in-one ProChrony units with bullets and sabots, etc. so it is a good thing they are inexpensive. I use different brands of chronographs with the main unit on the bench but I have had to replace a couple of sky screens myself.

EDIT: I do not really need the Magnetospeed for my heavy barrel rifles. I can test their velocities on my private range with other chronographs. It's main purpose would be sporter barreled rifles at other ranges and for testing velocity difference when traveling to hunt.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 05-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.