HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Hogs Have Been In Invisible Stealth Mode Lately...
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Usually here they cover a lot of territory. They may be around for a few days or until two or three out of the sounder get shot and you won't see them again for weeks. They say a sounder can have a territory anywhere from a hundred square miles to four hundred square miles and covering twenty miles in a single night isn't unusual.

I've found that they get cravings. Protein is a big one, certain plants and trace elements is another. Here they seem to crave earthworms. And at other times certain plants. I planted a plot of Watercress in a seep and they periodically hit the Watercress hard.

I also put out a plot of Lovage. many years old now. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovage, they love the stuff. Makes tracking them and finding their fresh bedding areas easy, Lovage has a strong distinctive odor, kind of like super Celery.

Feeders and baiting is forbidden (regulated) here, more than a pound of Corn cannot be used. So we have gotten sneaky. Fish guts, offal and blood meal will draw them in, especially if they get hungry for protean.

A giant steaming pile of horse manure, straw, compost (kitchen waste) and Chicken bones works as well as a corn feeder.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-07-2018 at 07:37 AM.