HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 The Rejects
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 AM
ManofTheFall
Nontypical Buck

It worked to perfection. Birds started gobbling a little before 6. They went quiet fairly quick though. My grandson was saying he wanted to leave by 7:30. I told him hang in there we will be on birds today. A little after 8 we heard 2, then 2 more, then 2 more yet again. We had at least 6 birds gobbling all inside of 200 yards coming from different directions. 2 finally appeared. I told him to be ready. It took them maybe 5 minutes from the time we saw them til they made there way over to us. One was a nice long beard and the other one was a Jake. When the long beard closed to a out 15 yards I said take him out. This is where the problem started. He didn't shoot. He had him in the 15 to 18 yard range for about a minute and he didn't shoot. They both finally walked off without him shooting at either one. He said he didn't shoot cause he knows they have good eye sight and he didn't want to spook them and run them off. His gun was on a rest and he easily could have moved and nailed either one. Of course I told him the one with the big beard. Well, hunting with these youngins can be frustrating from time to time but it's well worth it and every experience just builds and adds confidence and lessons for the next hunt. I explained to him he is definitely right about their eyesight, but he wouldn't of had a problem moving those 2 inches slowly and nailing that bird. Hopefully tomorrow morning he will tag his first bird, or his first any thing for that matter.