HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your Ideal 5-Gun Battery for Hunting, etc.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

I'd go with 5 that I have.

Ruger MK II 22 semi auto pistol for potting rabbits and grouse. Shoots well and I can hit what shoot at with it. It goes just about everywhere with me in my truck. I've even dropped a few coyotes with it.

Rem Fieldmaster 22 pump rifle for the same reason. This was my grandfather's rifle and it served him well and has served me well since he passed away. When I carry it afield I can feel grandpa next to me.

Belgian Browning A-5 in 12 Ga I inherited from my father for upland game and waterfowl. Dad shot a truckload of birds with it and every time I use it I feel like he is there with me.

Remington Model 700 ADL in 7mm Mag. Been using this rifle since I was 13. I handload everything I shoot it it so if I want to hunt varmints I can and if want to hunt big game I can as well. I don't do enough varmint hunting to make it worth my time to have a special rifle and this rifle and caliber combo is adequate for 99% of what I will go after. With this rifle I have taken the following: mule deer, whitetail deer, blacktail deer, elk, black bear, pronghorn,wild hogs, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, coyotes, foxes (red and grey), bobcat and a turkey shot in the fall which is legal in CO. It has also been to Africa where it has taken impala, gemsbok, kudu (greater and cape), blesbok, red hartebeest, springbok, zebra, vaal rhebok, blesbok, warthog, jackal, wildebeest (black and blue), nigerian bhor reedbuck, oribi, steenbok, and grey duiker. No reason to change what works.

Remington Model 700 Classic in 375 H&H Mag. Had to think about this one for the 1% the 7mm Mag isn't good for. Nearly went with my 9.3x62 but availability of ammo comes into play. 375 &H is available just about anywhere and it is also the minimum dangerous game caliber that you can legally use in Africa. So if I want to go after one of the big bears, elephant or cape buffalo I have it covered. Like my 7mm Mag I have been using this rifle for years. I handload for it and have a load that shoots both 300 gr softs and solids to the same point of impact. This rifle has already been to Africa 5 times and I see no reason to replace it with anything else. It worked very well on a cape eland, western roan, western hartebeest, waterbuck, warthog and knocked a bunch of baboons spinning in Cameroon.

I have a lot of other guns I enjoy. But if you held a gun to my head and made me choose, the above 5 would make the cut.

Last edited by flags; 03-30-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added comment