HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 3 TSS-Turkey Slaying Suspects
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 05:55 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
Superstrut! Go easy on 'em. You gotta leave a few for next year. Great job! How far was the farthest shot? Did you get them to come in real nice?

Joe, the furthest shot was 46 yards. It was actually tough hunting. The toms weren't gobbling good at all. They weren't responding well to calls. The first kill was quick. I actually called in the hen and he came with her. He gobbled decent on roost. The 2nd bird took much longer. I set up at 4:15 p.m. in an area where I have had success before. I stayed put and called every 15 minutes. I didn't want to move around because it was so windy. I called every 15 minutes until I finally got a response at 7:00 p.m. I killed the gobbler at 7:15. The 3rd and 4th gobbler were with several hens and another longbeard. I did some calling, but they wouldn't budge. They never gobbled on roost. I went mobile and saw them in a field. I ended up belly crawling about 75 yards to get closer to them. I did some soft calling and eventually got the hens interested. The toms eventually came to within about 35 yards and the two strutters were side by side. They stuck their heads up and got nervous, so it was now or never. I took the shot getting both of them with a single shot. BTW, I took these birds at three different areas, so there are plenty more toms left to breed.