HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .358 Fans get yours now
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Cinaed
Spike

Default Custom Rifle Inquiry, Wildcat cartridge

Originally Posted by Judson
I can build you a .358 Norma no problem. But custom rifles are not cheep. The cost effective way to go is to find a Ruger in 35 Whelen or a Mauser and rechamber it. Or you could rebarrel any mag. rifle like the 700 Rem.
Greetings.

I perused this forum for information on the .358 STA, what I like to call the 358 Alaskan, and I was interested in your statement that any magnum Remington action could be rebarreled for a magnum cartridge.

Is it true that a Remington 700 action in 8mm Rem. Mag is of similar dimensions or identical to that of the 7mm Rem Mag?

If that is so, then I am greatly encouraged. I am looking for an economical way to build a 358 Shooting Times Alaskan, and rebarrelling a 700 Rem. Mag would be a good start.

The 700 is not my favorite action - I much prefer the Ruger M77 with its Mauser style extractor. I have one in 35 Whelen, a Mk II, and I am its only limitation as a tack driver.

Here's to hoping you get this inquiry, since it has been awhile since the above quoted post was given. I would be interested in your specs for a custom rifle in .358 STA.

Thanks in advance.

Kenneth Smith
Monroe, Louisiana