HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - slug gun scope
Thread: slug gun scope
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 02:05 AM
Coastal Mountaineer
Fork Horn

I happened to research this yesterday. I found the best answer on Field and Stream's web page posted by BEEKEEPER. After reading this, I will keep using my regular Leupold 1.5x6 on my TC:

The difference in shotgun scopes and rifle scopes falls mainly in two areas. The first is eye relief; most shotgun scopes have slightly more.

The second and biggest difference is in how the scopes are adjusted for parallax. Typically a shotgun scope is parallax adjusted for 75 yards or less, some are adjusted at 40 or 50 yards. Most rifle scopes are adjusted at 100 yards or more.

Without going in to a treatise on optics the reason this is important is the relationship of how your eye views the image formed by the scopes lenses. Differences in how one angles their head can even cause a difference in how you perceive the image. This difference can lead to sighting errors at long range and short range as well, therefore shotgun scopes typically have parallax adjusted for shorter ranges as that is where they a used.

Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 02-04-2018 at 02:11 AM.