HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - florida turkey quota draw
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Central PA Sportsman
Spike

Don't know much about Turkey hunting in FL but I've hunted deer and hogs on public land there numerous times. Even though it seems confusing, its not once you figure it out. One thing I know is there is NO baiting allowed in public land but I do believe you can hunt turkeys on baited property but you need to be at least 100 yds from bait (You need to check, this is the way I understand it). If your into that, look for private property or go with an outfitter. As far as preference points, again I don't know. I hunt public land and even though I haven't yet hunted turkeys, I've seen them and even mouth called them to within shooting distance. One of the many WMA's I hunt is Green Swamp and am currently reading the GS WMA brochure as I write this (every WMA has it's own brochure which cam be read and downloaded from the FWC web site). You need to look at the specific WMA you plan to hunt because they are all a little bit different and that's where it can get confusing. Here's what it says about Green Swamp and Spring Turkey (bearded birds only). first 2 days, 200, no cost, quota permit. seems confusing to get and that's why I don't hunt quota days. AFTER first 2 days, 200, no cost, quota permit available first come first served at check station (at each entrance gate). Like I said earlier I've not hunted turkey but have gone through this procedure with deer and never had a problem especially during the week. I'll repeat I was always nervous about this but never had a problem. Green Swamp turkey season 2018, Mar. 17 to Apr. 22
As for hunting license and permits, here's what I do:
License, from Walmart, 10 day non res., $46.50
WMA permit $26.50 (good for 1 year); hunt turkey in Mar/Apr come back in Fall/Winter hunt hogs and deer (deer permit $5 and another 10 day license)
The big cost, non res. turkey permit $125 (not really if your hunting osceolas for 10 days).
Hope this wasn't to confusing and helps some people out. If anyone has a different opinion or I've messed up somewhere, please post or reply. If anyone wants to talk please send me a PM with phone number or I'll be glad to give you my number and we can talk, I hate typing....this is my second attempt somehow deleted the first.
Good Luck
PS: FL is awesome in the winter when it's cold and snowy in the north.