HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 02:09 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

My hunting is the converse of hunting all over the map for specific animals. I hunt a relatively small area. I have access to 3300 hectares, I hunt maybe a third of that.

My thing is trying to know all the game in my chosen area. I've even seen the same Mouse multiple mornings. I know most of the Deer on my lease, have most of the Fox dens mapped, know where the Badgers are. Where the Ducks nest, where the Rabbit warrens are, where the Hare and Pheasant hang out. I even know where many wild plants are likely to be found. Micro instead of macro.

I figure I have some of the knowledge of a hunter gatherer. Though it is likely much of the knowledge has been lost over the centuries.

I also hunt the edges and leave the game in the center alone. Kind of like early settlers would hunt, away from the cabin so there was game close when/if the hard times hit.

I've hunted high fence, here it was more a social gathering than a hunt. A bunch of high rollers and aristocracy would hunt high fence. On one side their time is valuable and they just don't have the time to invest in doing it another way. It is almost like theater, they dress the dress, follow the old traditions and brag a little about their successes on the hunt. One thing I did notice, most of them are what I call city dead, their senses aren't attuned to their surroundings. They often have game underfoot and don't see it, hear it or sense it. Many times I've waited, waited and waited until whatever is almost out of range trying to give the other guy the shot before I'd shoot.