HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ultralight Mountaineer First Look
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default Dead Meat

The Ultralight Mountaineer made some dead meat. Carried the rifle every day for 27 days; walked many miles, and saw many many white tails waving good bye. The 27th day somehow found me close to a few deer that were calmly eating as they moved through the timber. The hard part was ensuring i didn't shoot a fawn or a spike; of course having good aim when the trigger was pulled, was the harder part. Some days were warm, some days were bitter bitter cold, some days were pleasant, and some days were windy, very windy. The rifle stayed loaded through the snow, wind, and cold. The load of 65 weighed grain Blackhorn went off without hesitation, and the 265g Lehigh evidently worked. The sabot was a short Harvester, and the primer was a W209, which fell cleanly out of the bolt after reloading, when the bolt was opened, and the rifle tipped sideways. There is zero soot on the primer, and the bolt was easily opened.

The rifle was a joy to carry, only twice did i have a need to switch shoulders because of back pain. Seems the average hike was between two, and three mile, but a few days were more. A couple days were short hikes. The front sight nearly looked sharply sharp to old eyes, and worked well with the Williams FP receiver sight. It is conceivable this Knight will be the only rifle, which comes with me, on my dwindling remaining hunts; who knows. One thing is sure, it is a great handling well built rifle.

-