HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whitetail Deer Hunting Tips?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 12:23 PM
thaechten
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Welcome to the forum.
1. Find where the deer are living when they're not feeding, basically their bedding area. Find out what they are feeding on when they are active. Put your stands on trails that lead between the two areas.

2. Always pay attention to the wind. It's the most dependable way to hide your scent. Place your stands where you have good cover to hide movement. Stands too high make it difficult to make good shots when the deer are close.

3. I get down immediately. If I made a good shot, that deer will be dead before I get out of the tree. If I determine that it's a possible gut shot, I'll back out quietly and come back 6 hours later or overnight, whichever comes first.
Good information. To help you with number 3 - get you a good blood tracking light (outrigger outdoors bloodhound blood tracking light is what I run and recommend) to track down a gut shot or less than perfect shot on a deer after about 30 minutes. Usually by then the adrenaline has wore off and they are sore and don't want to move much.