HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default New Mountaineer Ultralight

My new rifle came in November. Trigger pull of the red Timney trigger was 3½ pounds, so i adjusted it until it was a perfect
pounds. It is wonderful. It does a two foot drop to concrete without letting go.

The Quick Release Knight Rifle Detent Screw came apart whilst shooting first time out, but luck was good, and somehow i found the
loose part. Hard to understand why it was loose, but now it is back together, and working good.

Knight breech plugs with the brazed vent wear ridiculously quick. It seems a plug without the brazed vent liner would last about
three times longer. Carbide end mills, and a carbide spotting drill allowed me to remove the very hard brazed vent liner.
Then a 10-32 tap was ruined chasing the threads so a new removable vent liner could be used. The next step was shim the primer socket with a 0.005" shim to correct the slightly loose head space. Now there is zero blow by using W209 primer. The bolt opens easily after firing, and doesn't get dirty with soot. Now the breech plug with a removable vent liner, and zero blow by should be good for a jillion shots. ☺

The rifle is plenty accurate, and is a joy to carry, but does weigh more than the advertised six pounds. It has been carried
into the field 22 times this month. Today i found a real nice heavy antlered buck that a herd of coyotes totally ate, and
saw a hot lion track in the fresh snow about 2½ mile north of the Sugar Shack, East of 385.

_

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 12-22-2017 at 04:56 PM.