HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How's your season been?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Default How's your season been?

How's everyone's deer season been thus far? I haven't had any luck in Ohio. I've passed a few small buck, and a couple doe. I still have a two day gun season and a muzzleloader season to go in January.

In Pennsylvania my deer sighting were way down this year. I saw more coyote than I did deer the first day. Our camp (typically around 15 guys the first day or two then down to 8 or 10 on the weekends) ended up taking 10 deer. Usually we get 15-20. So that was down a little bit.

Had an uncle and a cousin take a 6 and 7 point the first day. We also shot 3 coyote the first week.

My dad took a 6 point the first Friday. I took a 5 point the first Friday. It was the only buck I saw for the whole two weeks.

The first Saturday my wife and sister both took antlerless. Also a junior mentor hunter got his first deer, a button buck on Saturday morning. He carried the tail around asking everybody if they wanted to pet a deer tail. He was quite excited. Then today the second Saturday a friend and two cousins all took antlerless.

I decided to burn my doe tag for that area this year since I saw so few deer. I don't know where they were hiding. I've had opening days recently where I saw over 60 deer. So, it was a strange year for sure. All the corn was still up until part way through the second week. That's the only thing I can figure. Spotlighting earlier in the year showed average numbers for our area, but they sure tricked me this year.

How's everyone else's season going? I'll still try in Ohio and I have a couple special regulation antlerless tags in PA to use after Christmas if I have time to get out.

-Jake