HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - accuracy goes away when shooting sabots
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 07:20 AM
wabi
Nontypical Buck

Default accuracy goes away when shooting sabots

Been shooting BP for decades, and sabots for probably 20 years now, but problems have happened with the last 3 rifles I've used.

I have tried a lot of substitute powders over the years, but usually use real BP.

First problem rifle was a Traditions inline. Great accuracy at first (I have never kept count of shots fired in a rifle, but usually shoot only about 40-50 rounds a year). After a couple years groups opened up so bad I couldn't keep shots on a target printed on 8½x11 paper anymore. I just set the gun aside as I had others I could use.

Then this past Saturday I got my CVA Wolf which has always shot well and is only a couple years old out to check for deer season and my groups have opened up to around 4-5" @ 100 yards????

I went home and got the old T/C Hawken with a GM LRH (1:28 twist) barrel out to check out so I could use it to deer hunt. This rifle has always shot under 3" groups at 100 yards with it's fiber optic sights. My first shot was 8" low-right, and the second shot was 5" left of the bull?????

I have always used water or window cleaner to clean the barrels, never had any rust in the bores, and take good care of my rifles.

It seems to me the most reasonable possibility is "plastic fouling" from the sabots. I never encountered this in the past, and had some rifles I shot a lot of sabots through (maybe 2-300 rounds over the time I owned them), but I find it hard to believe I've had 3 barrels (all by different makers) go bad in such a short period of time (number of shots through them).

I came home and ordered a bottle of cleaner (Shooter's Choice MC7) which is supposed to remove plastic fouling!

Does it sound reasonable/possible the plastic is my problem?