HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To butcher or not to butcher? that is the question?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:54 PM
YTCLT
Spike

If you do it yourself you are guaranteed to get what you want. I’ve been doing it for years and when my boys started hunting I insisted they participate, even if it was just front shoulders and neck meat. The importance of this came home when hunting with my son who was 10 or 11. We were in a 2 person stand and he made a great shot on a doe that was in a herd over 100 yards away. She dropped in her tracks, and the herd had no idea what happened. He looked at me and said “can I shoot another one Dad?” and I said “sure, as long as you don’t mind butchering two.” He thought better of it and didn’t...now if all he had to do was pull the trigger and help me gut and load them on the truck I’m sure he would have. The point is this, I think, taking that life is a big deal and by my insisting he close the loop on it by helping butcher and packing the meat he had to ask himself if he really wanted to do that. To me it’s all about respecting the kill and ensuring the meat is processed as I like so we use it and understanding that the work,begins when the arrow flys or the trigger is pulled.