HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To butcher or not to butcher? that is the question?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Butcher your meat yourself. It is part of it. More specifically.

"Hunting provides an opportunity to demonstrate endurance, courage, and skill, the characteristics everywhere of the powerful person." (from Jose Ortega y Gassett's "Meditations on Hunting") I would say an extension of this insight is that a major part of the pleasure of hunting is in demonstrating . . . endurance, courage, and skill. Why that should be the case -- why human beings take pleasure in demonstrating these qualities -- is not something I'm clear in my own mind about, but I do think this gets at the heart of the pleasure I feel in hunting.

Thus, by butchering your own meat, you get to further demonstrate endurance, courage, and skill -- namely the endurance of butchering the animal and the skill of butchering the animal. I'm not sure courage is engaged in butchering the animal.

Speaking for myself, I prefer to leave my bones in my meat until I get it home. This includes my elk, and elk bones are big and heavy (thus this means "paying for" my preference by increased effort lugging the elk meat with embedded bones back to camp). I think this keeps the meat in better condition. Additionally, I make broth out of the bones by boiling them up along with left-over scraps of meat and sinew as well as an onion, carrots, bay leaves. But this is a matter of personal preference, I acknowledge.