HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - non (but not anti) hunter needs education please
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Let me give yo some food for thought. I am a 25 yr Certified Hunter Ed instructor.

1. Hunting today is a Privilege and NOT A RIGHT. That trail camera placed on your property is clearly a Trespassing issue. The person or persons who placed that trail camera on your property knows with out a doubt they trespassed. I would not let them play dumb as it is the hunter's responsibility to know exactly where he or she can and can not go on any property! It's the law! Ignorance of the law never got anyone out of a ticket.

There are many great Mapping Applications that can be used on any smart phone. It will show the user where they are on anyone's property in real time. OnXhunt is just one application.
With Satellite GPS it will show the user exactly where they are on your property. It clearly shows the Property boundary lines, also lists the onwers of the property, and one can get an address to possibly contact you. It is a digital Plat map. I use this all the time when I seek new land to hunt.

2. Most trespassing laws are administered by the local sheriff and not the local Game warden. I certainly would call both and lodge a big concern with each of them. Again it is the ownership of that hunter to know where they are. It is their responsibility and not yours.

In my state if you wound an animal you must seek permission to pursue it on private land. If permission is not given you can not pursue that animal. On the same token neither can the land owner. So again it is the hunter who must secure all agreements before the hunt.

It is issues like this that give the ethical hunters a black eye. I have no tolerance for ignorance or people like this. I am very explicit what the trespass laws taught in my Hunter Ed Classes. I make darn sure mystudents know what they can and can not do.

A stand placed on a border line just asking for trouble. If you are concerned about any hunter no matter what weapon they use - shooting game on your side of the boundary line, I'd stop it now. You have too much invested in your animals.

While others may not agree -
If it was my land, I certainly would take that camera pronto - HOWEVER - I'd leave a note. Come get your camera, you where trespassing.

I certainly admire your attitude. Nobody wants confrontation. But again ignorance of our hunting laws no matter what state the hunter is in - is for the hunter to know. Not the land owner!

I can also understand if you don't want to remove that camera. But let me suggest you discuss that with your local game warden and or sheriff. They certainly will help you.

JW

Last edited by JW; 10-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.