HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best .243 Rounds for Pelts
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 03:55 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a FMJ round, I have a lifetime supply of Core Lokt 165 grn. IMO it takes a certain thickness of meat (or guts) to get any expansion. Ribs, lungs and ribs in a Fox sized predator, isn't enough resistance to get much expansion most times. I have gut shot a few, some have moved just as I shot, it generally does more damage than the chest area. Fox shot anywhere in the chest cavity go down, shotgun can sometimes be iffy.

I have shot Fox from above, from a high seat and close. Same thing, keep it in the chest cavity and most times there is little pelt damage.

My .222 sometimes does more damage than my .308. Best guess is a heavier bullet is less likely to tumble.

Some other guys on the board are more knowledgeable about bullets than I am, they may be able to recommend a low expansion bullet you can use for Fox, Bobcat or Coyote and still use for Deer.

I have shot Hare with my .222, about a fifty fifty chance it will mess them up pretty good. Ground Hogs and Coons may be tougher than a Hare, *maybe* you can salvage the pelt? Shooting Hare with my .308 never crossed my mind.

I'm having the same conundrum right now, I'm planning on taking some Nutria this winter and am trying to decide whether to take my shotgun or my .222. I guess the only way to know for sure is trial and error. I have a combination gun, 12 gauge and 7X57R, I wish it was 12 gauge and .222

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-16-2017 at 04:04 PM.