HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .260 Rem for Canadian Bull Moose
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 AM
buffybr
Typical Buck

On a multi-species hunt, I normally size my rifle/bullet to the largest animal that I intend to hunt and there are no problems with smaller animals.

Under perfect conditions a .260 will kill a moose, but on an expensive international hunt, why take the chance? Our job as hunters is to quickly and cleanly kill the animals that we hunt.

Years ago, I was on a solo, DIY, backpack hunt in one if Montana's Unlimited bighorn sheep units. I was using my favorite deer/antelope/sheep rifle, my .257 Ackley. By the 3rd morning I hadn't seen any rams, and when a large 6x6 bull elk stepped out broadside about 75 yards in front of me, I put 117 grain Sierra just behind his shoulder.

That small bullet hit a rib bone going in and fragments of bone, copper, lead shredded the bull's lungs and heart, killing him instantly. None of the bullet or bone penetrated the ribcage on the far side. Had that bullet hit the large upper leg bone I think the results would have been different.

I have also killed two Shiras bull moose, both one shot kills with 180 grain Nosler Partitions at magnum velocities, which would be my choice if I was to hunt another moose.

Last edited by buffybr; 09-05-2017 at 06:11 AM.