HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Range report - CVA Optima pistol with Nikon variable scope
Old 08-20-2017, 04:42 PM
ctom
Spike

I've settled on 63 grains weighed [90 grains by volume] under a 240 grain, .44 cal XTP and green crush rib. The load is fired by a CCI mag primer. Its very accurate with a somewhat heavy but manageable recoil. I have always suggested that loads should be the most accurate and as heavy as the shooter can handle, accurately. In a hunting scenario you'll only be using one shot [hopefully]. There are a lot of superbly accurate loads out there that maybe have more recoil than the shooter can handle effectively. If someone is going to flinch at the though of the gun going off then accuracy at any degree is a joke.

The Optima pistol loaded to the max with 209 and pushing a 300 grain bullet is going to deliver recoil in the 454 Casul/460 range. I'm fine with the load I have settled on but the max with a 300 grain bullet is challenging when I like to have a little fun. At reasonable pistol ranges on deer one doesn't need to max things out.

I couldn't believe the damage to the buck deer I got last using the same powder charge but a .452 250 grain XTP. To note, the .44 cal 240 xtp's shoot much tighter that the 250 grainer at 50 yards.

Last edited by ctom; 08-20-2017 at 04:47 PM.