HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Range report - CVA Optima pistol with Nikon variable scope
Old 08-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Gm54-120
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
I'm using the Blackhorn 209 breech plug from CVA and Federal 209 primers. I threw away the used primers already.

What I think happened is either 1.) I let some bore cleaning solution drip into the flash hole while swabbing between shots, or 2.) I somehow forgot to put a bullet into the sabot and didn't realize it.
First, you don't need to swab between shots with BH209.

What cleaning solution did you use to swab?....Dont use water based solvents with BH209. If you must swab use a 50/50 mix of 91% or better isopropyl and Hoppes#9...ISO-HEET fuel line deicer is nearly pure isopropyl.

The reason i asked to see primers is to see how dirty they look. A good seal makes a huge difference with BH209. I can shoot easy loading projectiles without fail as long as the plug is good and the primers seal well.

If your primers are not coming out this clean after firing, you might want to consider the shim kit from CVA.

CVA sells a firing pin bushing shim kit to correct excessive headspace. Its super simple to install if you have a good way to measure your primers.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-20-2017 at 06:01 AM.