HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whitetail Deer Hunting Tips?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

Wingbone gave you pretty good advise except for the getting down immediately part. Watch the deer as long as you can and mark in your mind the last place you saw it after the hit. I wait around half an hour after the shot even if I know I made a good hit. I've actually watched many of my archery hit deer lay down and expire. Moving right after the shot will push a deer that may have laid down just 20 or so yards from the hit. That's a mistake a lot of people make in archery. There is little to no shock value from archery equipment like there is with a firearm and often times they won't go very far if they aren't pushed. Another thing is to always have an exceptionally good light for blood trailing in the evenings and mark your blood trails in case you lose the sign and have to backtrack to pick it back up again. If you passed through the animal, try your best to find your arrow. There is a lot of detail that arrow sign can give you about the shot. The color of the blood on it will tell you if you made an arterial hit or a lung hit or the dreaded liver or gut hit. Bright red=Arterial, Pinkish and foamy looking=Lung, dark red to brownish=Liver, White stuff usually means one of 2 things, no mans land and you missed vitals and probably didn't have a lethal hit or you laid open the gut and you will have a hard time finding it. Greenish stuff is a direct gut shot.
Most people, me included, usually take their stands to between 15 and 20 feet dependent on the surrounding cover. If at all possible, one should practice shooting from these heights as shooting inclined is a lot different from shooting from the ground.