HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hooked another newbie (More Legos)
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I'm definitely not a pro spotter, and I'll readily admit to struggling that day converting my mind back to Minutes instead of Mils to communicate his wind calls. If I were singing like an auctioneer that afternoon, I wouldn't have been talking fast enough to keep up on the changing calls. When I was shooting myself, I could simply slide back and forth on my wire, centering around my "standard call," reading and adjusting on my own in real time, but calling for Klae was a lot slower than it needed to be. So whether my calls were off because they were simply inaccurate or because they were too slow for the changing wind, I'm pretty confident saying his horizontal stringing was due to missed wind calls moreso than the rifle.

Ridge hit the nail on the head though - I LOVE living vicariously through new shooters. That big, growing smile they get when they come out of the scope after that first connection at long range makes all of the time helping them get there worth while.

I will say - what stuck out to Klae the most was how long it took to ride the 4 wheeler back and forth to the target. He said it really made sense when I reminded him - 400yrds is 'round about a quarter mile, and getting out to 600yrds is just 'round about 3/8mile... A lot of new guys aren't used to thinking about long ranges in feet or yards, so they don't really have a context for what ranges really are.