HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - inline muzzleloader setup
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 01:10 PM
pooldoc
Fork Horn

I've never been a fan of the powerbelts for my hunting.There are just too many other good choices available, not all of which can be used everywhere due to varying state regulations. Our primitive hunts in Louisiana and Mississippi allow the use of certain break action center fires using 45/70, 35 Whelen etc. Darn few muzzleloaders are used anymore. I use my Knight Disc Extremes, with bare primer conversions for all my hunting. I'm a huge Blackhorn 209 fan. It's so easy to clean up and being granular it's really easy to work up loads with. I do weight all my loads for consistency. I tend to use 250 to 300 grain bullets and 100 to 110 gr of BH 209 seem to produce the best accuracy. I use Winchester regular 209 primers most of the time. CCIM and Federal 209A are favored by many. I use various Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and for the last 2 years my bullet of choice has been Harvester's 300 gr PT Gold. Keep your flame channel clean and use firm, consistent seating pressure on your ramrod and you will be rewarded witn an accurate and effective load that I feel very confident with out to my personal limit of 200 yards.Enjoy, its a great sport and very rewarding. I will be 80 this fall and I've fired more rounds, spent more time at the range and had more fun in the last 6 years than in the previous 60 plus hunting seasons.