HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 454 Casull, big enough to stop a grizzley?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Most people fail to realize they are able to pursue force-on-force training at low cost. A guy can either put in for simunitions, or a lot more cheaply, use an air soft pistol/revolver.

So, grab a buddy, start at rest, and have him rush you from 20-30yrds. Best if done in thick enough cover where he can be concealed. Another option, start blindfolded, remove the fold at the beep - and they get to run in on the same cue.

You'll be amazed how difficult it is to hit a rushing target, and then equally amazed how quickly you can learn to engage a rushing target effectively. Recoil management then becomes the priority in training.

I'll go look around a bit, but I recently saw a video of Max Prasac shooting a 454c, wanna say it was even a single action, for 5 shots on target in 3 seconds. Their test was in response to a claim by another gun writer who had claimed the ability to do so. Multiple testers succeeded or nearly succeeded.

That's not to say any joe blow who hasn't put more than 5 rounds at a time through his super magnum revolver can replicate these results, but fast, on target shooting of a super magnum revolver is within reach of a trained and practiced handgunner.

I live by this general expectation: If I can do it, almost anyone can do it, and a lot of folks can do it a lot better.