HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Simmons Sale
Thread: Simmons Sale
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 AM
stalkingbear
Nontypical Buck

I used to have a MASSIVE plastic tub in my shop that I threw cheap junk scopes, & those Ironsiter or see-thru mounts in when taking them off to replace with something reliable. That tub held DOZENS of scopes & see thru mounts. On optics, you get what you pay for. There's no free ride or cheap bombproof optic. In MY opinion, having had my own gunsmith shop over 30 years, there's 2 kinds of cheap junk scopes. Those that have failed, and those that have yet to fail. Sure there's the possibility of a cheap scope just happening to have excellent tolerances, luck of the draw where it just so happens to have no tolerance stackup. However, the allowed total amount of tolerance accepted during manufacture/assembly is MUCH more than what a reputable scope will have. Now to be fair, I include most Simmons, the cheaper model lines of Bushnell (Sportview), just about all Tasco, Leapers, BSA, Barska, FM, etc. and so forth in the $20-$60 new range. The absolute most inexpensive I'd trust for decent scopes is the $100-$150 new range, which include Weaver Classic, Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy, and so forth. It's SOOO much better to save to put even a $100 scope on, in so many ways, it's inexcusable to throw a junk scope on. Not only quality of glass, coatings on glass, parts tolerences, ability to hold zero, consistent adjustment, anti fogging/waterproofing seals, basically every area is VASTLY different. If you buy a cheap scope, only to have it fail, usually at the most inopportune time (trophy buck/bull in the crosshairs), & have to replace it later with a decent scope. The old saying of "buy once, cry once applies COMPLETELY on optics!