HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use gundogs for fur hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I was trying to bring the European Rabbits back and establish a colony, they had all but disappeared from our lease. I planted cover, piled up rocks to make the Fox digging them out harder. I put a lot of effort into the project.

Noticed the Fox where interested in a steaming horse manure pile in the middle of winter. I dug a hole in the manure and buried a hundred pounds of chicken bones ( Colonal Sanders dumpster). The heat from the manure kept the scent cone active even on the coldest mornings. I picked off a bunch of Fox with their tails in the air digging. Baiting is frowned upon here, but due to the extreme overpopulation the rules were relaxed, as was hunting Fox at night. One of those blind eye type things, same for hunting Hogs at night. I thinned out the Fox, the Rabbits re-populated.

On another lease I dug some holes with a post hole digger in an out of the way spot, I shot Fox with their tails in the air trying to get to the offal in the bottom of the hole. The Fox on this lease were killing off most of the Hare. Most often I'd be sitting for Deer or hogs and would shoot a Fox at the end of the hunt. I actually shot a bob tailed Fox there, guess it was born without a tail. I glassed it multiple times trying to figure out what it was.

Remember what I said about cut hay fields, the Yotes and/or Fox will show up.

If I find multiple tracks in the same road or trail I set up an ambush early morning. Chances are if there are multiple tracks they are either leaving or returning to a den, a reliable food source or a favored bedding area. Early morning is a good time to hunt roads, like I mentioned they will tend to avoid tall grass when it is wet, not always but often. They also hunt the weeds on side of farm roads or ditches, a lot of wild seed the mice eat.

Hunting is mostly about using your noggin.

Ambush is my favored hunting technique, I get a feeling of satisfaction matching wits with predators.

I called some back in California, never tried it here. I had some success with a Hawk calling it's mate and then a wounded Rabbit call. Yotes thought dinner is served. They'd usually come in fast and stupid.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-17-2017 at 08:54 AM.