HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use gundogs for fur hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kyboy88
Well that's a interesting idea using a dog to tail them back to the den do you look for a track or something​ showing were a fox has passed or just let them in a good area let them found a track and see if they lead to a den also I have been thinking would you think a bait station would be a good place to cut a track and work it back also would you think they would have a good chance of flushing a coyote like you do a fox
Both, let them work a good area and/or look for tracks after a rain. Fox don't really like getting wet the will avoid the tall grass if they can when it's wet, farm tracks,lumber trails, established game trail are preferred. The also hunt and walk fence lines especially in pastures.

Same thing with Yotes but in a bigger way. Spot a likely area, look for tracks. Like I mentioned near water is a good spot some places. Or look in an area with a lot of Rodents, Jack Rabbits or whatever, where their is food there is Yotes. I found the early evening is the best time to try and dog them. Where I hunted them a decent shot was hard to come by, either tall grass or thick brush. One of my favorite places was right after some farmer cut hay, A lot of Rodents get chopped up, it opens the ground up and makes the surviving mice easier to catch. Use the terrain and the wind, pop up over a ridge. The dogs would often lead me to a Yote scat pile, territorial maker. Where I hunted water was the best spot, especially in the hot months, they show up to drink in the early evening, dusk.

Antedote: was out with my dogs and came across a family out for a nature walk, bitch Yote with her teats hanging was trotting away from water, had just finished drinking. The mother of the family thought it would be a good idea to feed that mother Yote, Mama actually came up and took the food right out of her hand along with pieces of her fingers. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Yotes are often brazen and will keep a distance but won't panic and run off like most Fox will.