HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Past HNI Gun Fads
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM
younggun308
Nontypical Buck

Default Past HNI Gun Fads

On another thread flags mentioned a rifle Remington used to make between 1981-2005: the Model 700 Classic.
Having never heard of it, that piqued my curiosity. In the process of Googling, it got me to looking at some other old Remington catalog items that I did remember from 11 years ago---like the Model 798 and Model 799---when I was a kid saving up for his first rifle, pouring over several free gun catalogs with hungry eyes...not surprisingly, I came across some old HNI threads about some of these rifles; some threads were from back when I first came on HNI---and it brought back some memories!

The threads on the 798 reminded me there used to be a cult-like devotion to CZ. I think users like "eldeguillo(sp?)" used to be all about it.

That, in turn, reminded me that there was an extremely vocal group of members who told everyone and their brother that the only cartridge they should ever get is a 6.5x55 Swede. (Was RebelHog one of these?)

But there was an even smaller, but even more radical group that preached the K31 Swiss rifle (7.5x55 Swiss).

The CZ and 6.5 Swede clans repeatedly converged on threads from newbies like myself, sometimes being natural allies, and may have suggested that I buy a CZ 550 FS carbine with the Mannlicher stock (was it in production between 2006-07?)...as though my money from taking out the trash for a year and a half could suffice to pay for that!

Ultimately, it was the Church of the 7mm-08 that got closest to sealing the deal and converting me. Had I not come across a Remington 673 in .308 on clearance for less than $600.00 one evening in Athens, Tennessee, I'd have been just as enthusiastically sharing the good news as they did.

Anyone else remember any fads from this part of the HNI forums?