HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkeys don't give a damn about my calls after flydown
Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM
entropy4money
Spike

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Change up the calls. Maybe use a few different ones as in box, slate and so on. Also slip in there and move your blind to where they seem to go after fly down. I would try that first then if that doesn't work try a few more hens.

Do the toms seem aggressive toward the jakes. A jake decoy may help. Most of turkey hunting is trial an error till ya find what is working at that time. If its not too pressured then they shouldn't be call shy yet. Also if you are allowed to hunt in the afternoon I have had most my luck beween 9 am and 1 pm.

If you have access to a turkey fan and no one else is hunting the area (safety) you could try faning a bird in. Get low to the field edge and raise and lower the fan making sure the Tom sees you. If he is aggressive he may come running. One of the birds I took this year I hunched over and walked slowly toward a tom and 6 hens while holding a fan in front of me. It took me 3 hours to cover just under a mile of wide open terrain but the hens eventually walked my way after I got within 150 yrds and the Tom followed about 60 yrds behind them till he met mr Winchester. Good luck and enjoy your time out there.
I would love to go to where they go after flydown but I can't because it is other property (private). They did come feed where I hunt today far to another side at around 10 AM, and I moved there with my portable blind. Called, no luck... they just won't leave the hens they are with.... I tried both mouth, and slate. They only seem to answer to my mouth calls, but still won't come.

There are no signs of aggression between Toms and Jakes. It is early spring here. I was thinking maybe adding more hens than just one, to make it more appealing for them to come? I see signs of them eating where I am, and lots of tracks. I just really don't know how to get them to come towards me when they seem to be so obsessed with the real hens, which makes sense I guess. I am not allowed to hunt after midday.

Thanks for the answer, I think I am going to try adding more hens. They seem to be an abundance of turkeys here, and one hen decoy might just not be enough when there are plenty real. But again, I have no experience, so this is just simple guessing.