HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkeys don't give a damn about my calls after flydown
Old 05-04-2017, 12:05 PM
kellyguinn
Super Moderator

Change up the calls. Maybe use a few different ones as in box, slate and so on. Also slip in there and move your blind to where they seem to go after fly down. I would try that first then if that doesn't work try a few more hen decoys. Remember to stay adaptable to the conditions. Watch the birds and see what stage of the breeding season you are in. That might give you clues how to act. If the hens are being talkative try imitating what she is saying. It will piss her off and more times than not she will come in and bring mr Big with her.

Do the toms seem aggressive toward the jakes. A jake decoy may help. Most of turkey hunting is trial an error till ya find what is working at that time. If its not too pressured then they shouldn't be call shy yet. Also if you are allowed to hunt in the afternoon I have had most my luck beween 9 am and 1 pm.

If you have access to a turkey fan and no one else is hunting the area (safety) you could try faning a bird in. Get low to the field edge and raise and lower the fan making sure the Tom sees you. If he is aggressive he may come running. One of the birds I took this year I hunched over and walked slowly toward a tom and 6 hens while holding a fan in front of me. It took me 3 hours to cover just under a mile of wide open terrain but the hens eventually walked my way after I got within 150 yrds and the Tom followed about 60 yrds behind them till he met mr Winchester. Good luck and enjoy your time out there.

Last edited by kellyguinn; 05-04-2017 at 12:09 PM.