HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food Plot mixes
Thread: Food Plot mixes
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
YTCLT
Spike

Here's what I've learned over the past 5 years. I have about 10 acres of food plots broken up into 6 different plots. It's tiring and expensive to have to re-plant every spring and fall so I transitioned 5 of the 6 fields to perennial clover/chicory. The deer HAMMER these fields all year. I will drag these fields with a steel drag in the beginning of august (after cutting them) and lightly overseed turnips. These do not need to be covered and grow between the clover, and by the time the winter is over there are none left and the clover and chicory aren't really hurt by it come spring. On field 6 I seed clover in the spring, after turning the oats from the previous year under, only because it's a good cover crop and puts out nitrogen, and in the fall I turn it under and seed oats again. I've found the deer can't stay off the oats and it's viable in southern Virginia into the winter. So, when my clover fields are looking bad because of cold the turnips draw deer in and in the oats field the oats are magic. This approach limits the replanting, provides tons of protein when it's needed most and carbohydrates when they need them most. And, it means all my fields are attractive all year. Works for me...