HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bell and Carlson stock on Remington 700?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 04:10 AM
muzzlestuffer
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stoney1
I just bought a Bell and Carlson Sporter stock for my stainless Remington 700 in .308 ( Non heavy barrel) that I only use for hunting which includes some shots out to 500 yards.
When I got the stock the other day i dropped my action into it and noticed it does not free float the barrel and there is a good amount of contact. I was originally just going to bed the Lug area as i have never done a bedding job.
My question is how important is a free floating barrel and if very important should I also pipe tape my barrel and bed forward of the lug several inches?
Bell and Carlson states that removing any material from the stock may void the warranty and that the stock is "Designed with pressure points rather than being free floated" and that removing material "will likely cause the stock to no longer maintain boreline"

Just trying to make this rifle as accurate as possible and consistent. My older Remington 700 shoots like a dream, but this one with the plastic stock is horrible at consistent groups so i bought the new stock and also a Timney trigger.
You can float when you bed the recoil lug area just put one wrap on 10mil tape between the barrel and stock right at the end then your barrel will be floated and recoil area nice and snug.