HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fox den in my yard
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
mrbb, red and grey foxes do not get along, since reds are bigger than greys the greys would rather leave than fight. Greys are more mountainous area foxes and they can climb a tree pretty handily, while reds are more open farm land area foxes although the habitats do merge at some places. When I trapped I never caught a red in the mountains, only greys and I caught them in water stepping stone sets.
YEAH I knew the greys were smaller, but one's I see here honestly are not MUCH smaller as many times have had both in my yard at same time, yrs back.
I am more in the wooded area, about 10,000 acres of timber/older coal mine area's and then local gun/hunting culbs have some food plots now in the middle of the wooded area, I have about a 100 acres of food plots now, say about 500 yards or less from my backyard

its a little odd to me, now, as the BIG plots behind me, the clubs have let go more than they used to, so many acres of it have got over run with weeds and let go
and that is about when the red's moved in , and the grey's seemed to have left.
I also have a LOT of coyotes here, but to be honest they seem to stay ot of my yard more than other things, yrs back they were way more common for me to see in my yard too, its like the grey and coyotes don't like my place LOL
but the reds sure do! same as the bears, MAN I get a LOT of bears here, I'd swear my property sides on a ancient thru way for bears, behind me is big food plots, across the street of me is big timber with a very nice native trout stream and spring and a wet land like swamp, and the bears seem to spend days in the swamp, wet lands and cruise thru my place almost daily some weeks, to get to the plots, and its always a different bears, I counted 22 different one's last yr , that I could tell apart that I was sure were all different bears. size and colors of them and the likes!

I like bears, so, all good with me, heck I like seeing all the critters I do here, I consider myself very lucky to have them as I do,
and I don';t even hunt here LOL
I travel all the time to hunt when I do, funny how that works!