HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lurchers?
Thread: Lurchers?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley
I know you mentioned greyhound collie mixes before have you ever worked with any. I would think the collie would help with training and and make it a better back pack dog. But I have no experience with them so I would like to know.
No I haven't worked with Collie Greyhound mixes, but have known Greyhounds and Collies. Seems like a good mix, seems a lot of people also think so. A Collie without all the fur is built light boned and quick but a herding breed, smarter and more trainable than the average Greyhound. Greyhounds are fast and have a strong prey drive.

There are sites dedicated to this mix on the internut. Most of my searches were about Jack Rabbit hunting, one of my great pleasures in life and I came across people breeding Lurchers to course Jackrabbits. Coursing Yotes is a likely crossover, Yotes are quick.

If you look at the skull, many breeds have some Greyhound in there, the skull shape is kind of a tip off (indicator). Other than that you'd have to do a red blood cell count and check heart size or do genetic testing. The skull shape is old school, but a likely tell tale.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.