HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First hunt, what do I need?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

first of welcome to the site, and to the hunting world
MY suggestion is this, start with simple basic' s and wait till you see if you LIKE it or not

the basic's being IMO a rifle of appropriate caliber for what ever animal you wish to go after( a 30-06 covers a LOT of things)
a decent 4-5 inch fixed blade knife gets my vote on a knife
are you planning to hunt ALONE< or with others,
I ask this as if hunting with others, you can get away with NOT having to BUY a lot of things your first yr and use them as a way to see what they have, how they use it and IF you like it
MOST will have there own pack frame/pack! for carrying out quartered game
a deer can be dragged out with a simple rope, as can a bear, but out west MOST folks quarter them and carry them out!

I would say MUST have items are a decent compass and KNOW how to use it, a MAP of hunting area/area's!
a good flash light, a decent first aid kit, small if going NOT far, bigger if packing farther back!

as for camo
this is a LOADED question, MILLION of animals have been killed LONG before camo was invented, I personally think camo MAKES A person feel more like a hunter than it actually HELPS YOU get any game
many animals can see UV and other things we cannot, so m WHO know's what camo pattern works or doesn't to be honest!

if you wish to par take in camo, BUY what fits you well
if you plan to hunt in low temps buy GOOD clothes that work well in cold weather, if in rain, carry good rain gear, rain gear can be simple or high tech
a good fisherman rain suit will work wonders over MOST camo hunting gear, as it won't bleed thru over time!(I own a ton of high end so called HUNTING rain gear, and its ALL bleed thru after a lot of use,( like a few days of non stop rain) in the rain
BUT good heavy fishing rain gear doesn't breath very well LOL and isn't the most quiet!

I would rather have quiet gear than camo gear any day of the week

I started hunting in plain jane street cloths, for first few yrs,(didn;t have the funding to have other things)
and never struggled filling tags on many game species!

stick to basic's and add things as you FEEL you need them or more likely WANT them!

hunting doesn't have to be a TV show commercial of gear!