HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DOJ Alleged to Have Aided Iraqi Terror Suspect Days before Election
Old 03-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

My theory is government incompetence. Where I work if you don't do a good job, you can be fired. Usually it doesn't happen that way. If you aren't cutting the mustard, you are encouraged to look elsewhere and are usually given a generous amount of time to make your move -- like 6 months in one case. I work for a small professional corporation in Texas that uses highly skilled professional people. Even then, there are people of mediocre talent who remain here. If your business plan depends upon staffing your business with only Michael Jordan level employees . . . your business isn't going to get very far. Well, working for the government it is even less likely to be fired for incompetence -- orders of magnitude less likely -- than working for my company. The government employees who actually do the work of government -- versus the high level directors who have their coffee brought to them by their assistants in their capacious office and spend all their time in meetings and hob-nobbing with other Washington bureaucrats at social functions at night -- are not incented to achieve excellence. There is not pay off in their jobs to excel and to be sincere and to apply a good work ethic.

That is my theory. That sounds very cynical. I welcome someone spanking me for such a low opinion of our civil servants and to be corrected with a good evidence supported counter argument. By the way, my father, in addition to being a small farmer (small=160 acres in prime Illinois farm country), was a rural letter carrier in the US Postal Service. He carried mail to people on his mail route 6 days per week, all year long (except when he took vacation, when a substitute would take over the route). He drove 80 miles on this route -- country gravel roads mostly, back in the day. In the winter, after snowmobiles became popular, he actually delivered mail using his snowmobile sometimes. But maybe that was as much a lark and caper as anything -- sort of like our American Indians "counting coup" in days gone by. Except in times of blizzards, roads were open to normal automobile traffic, though sometimes he did do the route with tire chains on. My father was meticulous about doing his job correctly and according to rules. So, in his case, he exhibited a high standard of work ethic. Regrettably, I am not convinced his old school ways continue today.

Last edited by Alsatian; 03-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.